Friday, May 11, 2018

A Lil' Bit about me and my Writing


Hello, my name is Michael P. Kudel. I’m 18 and a freshman at SUNY Farmingdale. Presently, I am a Liberal Arts major but plan on changing my major to Computer Science. From a very young age I’ve been fascinated by the ever-expanding world of computers and technology-oriented fiction. These interests lead to me developing deep interests in both video games and movies. I am particularly fond of games and movies that are set either in the near future on planet Earth or, alternatively, anywhere in the universe of the far distant future.
Additionally, over the past few years I’ve developed an interest in writing fan fiction and short stories. My interest in writing began in 2015 when a friend asked if I wanted to write a role-play (“RP”) story based on an anime with him and a few mutual friends. I accepted the offer out of curiosity. Throughout that summer I had many sleepless nights playing out the fictional during Skype sessions. It wasn’t till about mid-July until I thought the whole RP would make a good story. I backlogged the script-like chats and sorted them into a narrative format. For the rest of the summer I took time almost every day to research narrative perspectives for the story, corrected grammar, and shifted the storytelling to present tense.
From there, I invested time reading similar works of literature to broaden my horizons and develop different types of narratives. The titles I reviewed that summer included “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien, the “Harry Potter” series by J.K. Rowling, and numerous manga, Japanese comics, like “Death Note” and “Bleach”. My writing skills and ability to transform story lines improved to a point that I was able to help a few friends with their short stories and fan fictions. I helped them edit and correct grammar, identify inconsistencies in characters, and identify plot holes that could potentially ruin their stories.
To this day, I write whenever I get a chance or whenever an new idea captures my imagination. My most preferred types of writing have been short stories or the fan fiction that I continually write whenever I get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment